Waste transportation by foreign companies

Are you a foreign company that transports waste in Sweden? All foreign companies that transport waste in Sweden need to have a Swedish permit for the transport of waste. The application must be submitted to the County Administrative Board.

Where should the application be sent?

Applications for transport of hazardous and/or non-hazardous waste must be sent to the County Administrative Board (“Länsstyrelsen”) where the waste is collected or delivered. If you intend to collect or deliver waste in an area covering more than one county (“län”), send your application to the County Administrative Board in the county where you plan to transport the most waste.

You only need to apply for a permit in one county. The permit is then valid throughout Sweden.

What are the rules for transit transport?

For transit transport, no permit is needed.


  • Transport permit for hazardous waste with/without non-hazardous waste: SEK 2 900.
  • Transport permit for non-hazardous waste only: SEK 1 660.

How to pay the application fee

It is very important that you read the information about how to pay the application fee. You find the information at the end of the application form in the e-service. The payment has to be made to the same County Administration Board that you send your application form to.

Concerning foreign companies

If you leave or collect waste in Sweden you need a permit. A permit doesn´t requires for transit transports. It means that if you only transport waste through Sweden to another country it doesn´t requires a permit.

Where do I find the application form?

Use tour e-service below.

How long is a permit to transport waste valid?

A permit to transport hazardous waste is usually valid for five years. A permit to transport other types of waste is valid until further notice.

What is the commission?

At present, the fee for transport of waste is 1 660 SEK and the fee for transport of hazardous waste is 2 900 SEK. You may also apply for transport of both hazardous and non-hazardous waste. The fee is still 2 900 SEK.

How do I do a payment from abroad?

IBAN: SE7812 0000 0001 2810 106746
Bank: Den Danske Bank
Don’t use any account number and no OCR-code. Please state: “Transport avfall”, and company name, to the payment receiver.

My permit will expire shortly, what do I do?

Renew your permit using the web form following the link below. Since the form is in Swedish a translation into English may be found here. Pay the fee using the OCR-code you get when finalising the web application.

For an abroad payment use IBAN is SE7812 0000 0001 2810 106746 and swift code DABASESX. Please state: “Transport avfall”, and company name, to the payment receiver.

Apply for a new permit at least a couple of months before the date of expire.

Do I need a national permit of waste transport if I already have a permit for international transport of waste?

Yes. The waste permit issued by the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, is only valid for the border passage. You apply for a national permit at the County Administrative Board of the County where the waste transport is either started or ended. The permit is valid in the whole of Sweden.

How do I apply if I don't have a Swedish number of registration?

The web form require a Swedish number of registration. Non-Swedish companies may opt to generate a pdf-file using the web form or contact the County Administrative Board for a printed application.

What information do I need to append to the application?

To get a permit to transport waste within Sweden you will need to verify that you have a valid international authorization to engage in the occupation of road transport operator (see application form tick box: operating permit to convey goods).

You also need to show that you have sufficient technical, economical and human resources to comply with the requirements for a permit to transport waste. Therefore you need to append a copy of a national permit or a notification to transport waste issued by the competent authority in the country where your company is established.

Define hazardous waste

Hazardous waste is marked by an asterisk (*) in the Waste Ordinance. As a rule of thumb discarded chemicals being labelled with danger symbols usually are hazardous waste. Pesticides, battery acid, lye, solvents, non-eatable oils and fats and mercury-containing luminous lamps are other common examples.

Do I need an ADR-certificate?

You will need an ADR-certificate if you will transport waste that is classified as dangerous goods.

Training for the transport of dangerous goods, MSB – Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency External link.

What knowledge is needed?

To be able to apply for a transportation permit for all types of hazardous waste, we require the driver to have an ADR certificate (a permit to drive hazardous goods).

If the business does not have drivers with an ADR certificate, it is instead possible to apply for a permit (ADR-S) to transport all types of hazardous waste, which does not qualify as hazardous goods under the hazardous goods provisions.

It is important that you describe in the application what knowledge the company's staff possesses with regard to the transport of waste.

Before you apply, be prepared to give the following information:

  1. Which County Administration Board should receive your application form.
  2. A financial report for your company in Swedish or in English. If you attach a financial report in another language, we will need explanation and clarification in Swedish or English.
  3. Your corporate identification number (VAT).
  4. Which places and companies you will collect waste from, and where you will deliver waste.
  5. What type of waste (hazardous or non-hazardous) you will be handling.
  6. The knowledge and experience you and your company’s staff have with waste transport.

You also need to include your contact information:

  • the business name
  • organization number
  • address
  • phone number
  • email address.

How long is the permit valid?

Hazardous waste permits are normally valid for five years. Permits for non-hazardous waste may be valid until further notice, but can also be issued for a fixed period of time.

Online permit register

Permits are published online:

Kontrollera avfallstransportörer External link.

This information can be used by the police, other authorities, and members of the general public to check whether a company has a valid permit to transport waste in Sweden.


County Administrative Board of Stockholm

Box 22067, 104 22 Stockholm

Dela sidan:


Anna Kinberg Batra


Regeringsgatan 66


Box 22067, 104 22 Stockholm



Följ oss