Waste transportation for companies registered in Sweden
Do you transport waste professionally, or do you transport waste from your own business? If so, you either need a permit to transport waste or you must file a notification with the County Administrative Board. You should also file a notification if you professionally collect waste or if you are a trader or broker of waste.
When to apply for a permit
If you transport waste professionally, which means that you transport waste for another party, you should always apply for a permit to transport waste, regardless of the amount. This applies for both commercial transport companies and service companies.
If you transport waste from your own business, you need to apply for a permit if the amount of waste to be transported exceeds
- 100 kilos or 100 litres of hazardous waste per year
- 10 tonnes or 50 cubic metres of non-hazardous waste per year.
Hazardous waste permits are normally valid for five years. Permits for non-hazardous waste may be valid until further notice, but can also be issued for a fixed period of time.
When you need to submit a notification
If you transport hazardous waste that has been generated through your own professional activities, you need to submit a notification to the County Administrative Board
- if the amount is less than 100 kilos or 100 litres per year
- if you will be transporting waste that is exempt from the permit requirement (a list of these types of waste is provided below).
The notification is valid for five years.
You also need to report whether you professionally collect waste or if you are a trader or broker of waste.
Apply or notify through our e-service
Both the application for and notification of waste transportation are made in our e-service:
Administrative information including:
- the business name
- organization number
- phone number
- Email address
The notification certifies only that the notification is valid for transports of hazardous waste less than 100 kg or 100 liters per year.
Waste traders or brokers must submit a description of the business.
When applying for a permit, the following information must be included:
- What types of waste you are transporting. Is it hazardous waste, non-hazardous waste, or both types of waste? Waste codes are listed in the Waste ordinance annex 4.
- How you are transporting the waste. (Piece goods-, container- flatbed-, or tank transport).
- If the business use drivers with an ADR certificate.
- If the business have a security advisor registered with the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency?
- If the business have a commercial traffic permit (yrkestrafiktillstånd).
- When transporting hazardous goods in a tank transport, a ”vehicle certificate for tank transport” must be included.
- A short description of the main business and a background to the transportations of waste. A description of relevant education or experiences of transporting waste, as well as information about whether or not the business has an environmental certificate etc.
- Notification: 320 SEK.
- Transportation permit for hazardous waste with/without other types of waste:
2 900 SEK.
- Transportation permit for other types of waste only: 1 660 SEK.
Payment in our e-service
When you submit an application through our e-service, you may choose to pay directly in the e-service using a Visa or MasterCard, or pay to a Bank Giro using an OCR-number. You will find information about the Bank Giro number and OCR-number on the acknowledgement confirmation you will receive when submitting the application in the e-service.
Waste transportation requiring a permit
You always need a permit to transport waste if you are transporting waste containing any of these substances:
- Mercury, other than waste containing whole (undamaged) fluorescent lamps or other light sources
Waste exempted from the permit requirement
Certain types of waste are exempt from the permit requirement. If the waste has been generated through your own professional activities, you need to submit a notification to the County Administrative Board in order to transport these types of waste. This applies regardless of the quantity.
For those who transport waste professionally, this means that you do not have to submit an application or notification.
The following types of waste are exempt from the permit requirement:
- waste containing hazardous agricultural chemicals (waste type 02 01 08*),
- fly ashes and boiler dust from oil combustion (waste type 10 01 04*),
- infectious waste (waste types 18 01 03* and 18 02 02*)
- waste containing asbestos (waste types 06 07 01* and 17 06 01*)
- waste from combustion or pyrolysis of household waste and similar commercial, industrial and institutional waste (waste types 19 01 05*, 19 01 06*, 19 01 07*, 19 01 10*, 19 01 13* and 19 01 15*).
Commercial transports of waste
Commercial transports of hazardous waste, and other types of waste, always require a permit. Commercial transports are transports of someone else’s waste.
Keep in mind that even if you buy or are given the material, it may be considered a commercial transport of waste.
If you provide a service and bring the waste with you, it may be considered a commercial transport of waste.
To be able to apply for a transportation permit for all types of hazardous waste, we require the driver to have an ADR certificate (a permit to drive hazardous goods).
If the business does not have drivers with an ADR certificate, it is instead possible to apply for a permit (ADR-S) to transport all types of hazardous waste, which does not qualify as hazardous goods under the hazardous goods provisions.
If the business lacks a commercial traffic permit (yrkestrafiktillstånd) you must list the waste codes you intend to transport.
Find the waste codes in the Waste Ordinance Annex 4 External link.
Collecting/traders and brokers
When handling waste in a commercial capacity, such as professional collection, trader or broker of waste, the business must be notified to the County Administrative Board. Shops, where customers leave waste, for example batteries and electronic scraps, are engaging in activities of professional collection. Brokers are those who convey waste transports.
Commercial traffic is only allowed to be conducted by someone with a traffic permit (trafiktillstånd). The traffic permit application is processed by the Swedish Transport Agency.
The Swedish Transport Agency's web site External link.
Hazardous waste may also be hazardous goods. The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency provides guidance on what applies to dangerous goods. The regulations on dangerous goods (ADR) apply in parallel to the provisions on waste under the Environmental Code.
Specific provisions apply to cross border transportation of waste. The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency decides on export and import of waste.
County Administrative Board of Stockholm
Box 22067, 104 22 Stockholm
Phone: + 46 10-223 10 00