Waste transportation by foreign companies
Are you a foreign company that transports waste in Sweden? All foreign companies that transport waste in Sweden need to have a Swedish permit for the transport of waste. The application must be submitted to the County Administrative Board.
Where should the application be sent?
Applications for transport of hazardous and/or non-hazardous waste must be sent to the County Administrative Board (“Länsstyrelsen”) where the waste is collected or delivered. If you intend to collect or deliver waste in an area covering more than one county (“län”), send your application to the County Administrative Board in the county where you plan to transport the most waste.
You only need to apply for a permit in one county. The permit is then valid throughout Sweden.
What are the rules for transit transport?
For transit transport, no permit is needed.
- Transport permit for hazardous waste with/without non-hazardous waste: SEK 2 900.
- Transport permit for non-hazardous waste only: SEK 1 660.
How to pay the application fee
It is very important that you read the information about how to pay the application fee. You find the information at the end of the application form in the e-service. The payment has to be made to the same County Administration Board that you send your application form to.
What knowledge is needed?
To be able to apply for a transportation permit for all types of hazardous waste, we require the driver to have an ADR certificate (a permit to drive hazardous goods).
If the business does not have drivers with an ADR certificate, it is instead possible to apply for a permit (ADR-S) to transport all types of hazardous waste, which does not qualify as hazardous goods under the hazardous goods provisions.
It is important that you describe in the application what knowledge the company's staff possesses with regard to the transport of waste.
Before you apply, be prepared to give the following information:
- Which County Administration Board should receive your application form.
- A financial report for your company in Swedish or in English. If you attach a financial report in another language, we will need explanation and clarification in Swedish or English.
- Your corporate identification number (VAT).
- Which places and companies you will collect waste from, and where you will deliver waste.
- What type of waste (hazardous or non-hazardous) you will be handling.
- The knowledge and experience you and your company’s staff have with waste transport.
You also need to include your contact information:
- the business name
- organization number
- phone number
- email address.
How long is the permit valid?
Hazardous waste permits are normally valid for five years. Permits for non-hazardous waste may be valid until further notice, but can also be issued for a fixed period of time.
Online permit register
Permits are published online:
This information can be used by the police, other authorities, and members of the general public to check whether a company has a valid permit to transport waste in Sweden.
County Administrative Board of Västerbotten County
Welcome to contact us at:
Phone 010 - 225 40 00