Service providers

All service providers must be authorised in order to operate. In addition, the staff of an authorised service provider must be approved by the County Administrative Board, regardless of whether they are to work on the service or not.

Service providers may apply for the authorisation and approval of their staff from the County Administrative Board.

The e-services and forms of the County Administrative Board in this field are not available in English. If you wish to submit an application or notification, you may contact the County Administrative Board, which can inform you how to proceed.

What should the application for authorisation include?

The application for authorisation of a service provider must contain the following information:

  • the name, personal (or corporate) identification number and address of the applicant and, if the applicant is a legal person, the corresponding details of the managing director or other person directing the business, as well as the board members and deputy board members of the service provider;
  • the name, personal (or corporate) identification number and address of holders who have significant influence over the management of the business;
  • the persons who are employed or otherwise active in the business and which of them are already approved;
  • the manner in which the company’s name is signed;
  • in which county/counties the service provider intends to carry out service activities.

The application must also contain an explanation of how the company intends to carry out the service activities and how the company will ensure that its staff have the necessary training.

What must I send with my application?

  • birth certificate/identification card;
  • non-insolvency certificate;
  • evidence of freedom from disqualification from trading;
  • a declaration that you do not have guardians as per the Parental Code.


Together with the application, a fee must be paid to the County Administrative Board for the assessment of the authorisation.

  • application for authorisation: SEK 7 100;
  • approval of staff at the time of application for authorisation: SEK 870 per person;
  • approval of staff at a different point in time: SEK 1 660 per person.

Your application will not be processed until we have received your payment.

What happens after I have sent my application?

  1. Your application will be registered and assigned a case number.
  2. The County Administrative Board will process your application. You will have to pay the fee before processing can begin.
  3. The case is sent to the Swedish Police Authority for a referral.
  4. We will reach a decision regarding your application.
  5. We will send you the decision.
  6. If we send you a service receipt, you must sign this once you receive notification of the decision. Then return the receipt to us as soon as possible.

If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal against it within 3 weeks from the date you were notified of the decision. Each decision is accompanied by an instruction on how to appeal against the decision.

Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the process or decision.

Approval of staff

All staff of an authorised service provider require approval by the County Administrative Board before being allowed to work in the company. This also applies to:

  • staff not required to carry out the service;
  • the manager of the business;
  • members and deputy members of the board of directors of the service provider.