Appeal decisions made by the municipality

Do you want to appeal a decision under the Planning and Building Act, or the Swedish Environmental Code? You have three weeks to file your appeal. The time begins the day you are given a decision.

Certain municipal decisions under the Planning and Building Act, PBL, may be appealed to the County Administrative Board by the concerned party/parties. For example, a decision concerning a building permit, a site improvement permit or a demolition permit may be appealed by neighbours as well as other concerned parties.

Many other municipal decisions under the Swedish Environmental Code can be appealed to the County Administrative Board. These decisions can be about, for example, waste management, fees, sewage, living environment, noise, polluted areas and denied beach protection dispensations. If the decision affects you, you may have the right to appeal it.

This is how the examination is carried out

The appeal must include statements explaining how you are going to appeal. You need to hand in your appeal to the municipality. Please contact the municipality if you need more information regarding how to carry out an appeal.

  1. First, the municipality assesses if the appeal was filed in time. The appeal is thereafter sent to the County Administrative Board.
  2. The County Administrative Board’s legal staff handles the case. Case officers, with special knowledge of the field, may participate in the handling of some cases.
  3. The County Administrative Board takes a decision and notifies concerned parties and the Municipality about their decision.
  4. If you are not satisfied with the decision, you may appeal it further. How to appeal is stated in the decision from the County Administrative Board.