Selling, displaying and handling wild plants and animals

Do you wish to help conserve animals and plants, trade in live animals and plants or display wildlife in a zoo? To do so, you will need to apply for permission from the County Administrative Board.

You need a permit to conserve animals and plants (preparation), trade in wildlife and exhibit wildlife in zoos for professional or commercial purposes (demonstrations).

  • Professional purposes are when your activity covers a certain scope and duration. Furthermore, the business activity is for profit and independent.
  • Commercial purposes are when your activity provides some form of economic benefit, i.e. the activity is for profit.

The e-services and forms of the County Administrative Board in this field are not available in English. If you wish to submit an application or notification, you may contact the County Administrative Board, which can inform you how to proceed.

Information about the application

  • The application fee is SEK 870.
  • You must have a list of all the species you are planning to handle and you must also submit this with the application.
  • The premises in which you carry out your activity must be fit for purpose. Please provide a map and sketch/layout with your application.
  • Applicants for a preparation and trade permit must be natural persons. The applicant for an exhibition permit must be a natural or legal person.

Operating licence for conservation/preparation

You must have a permit in order to prepare whole or parts of wild fauna and flora for professional or commercial purposes. Preparation involves stuffing animals (taxidermy) or preserving plants and animals.

Preparation is subject to authorisation for the following species:

  • wild birds living in the EU;
  • wild mammal species living in Sweden;
  • animals and plants marked with n or N in the Annex to the Species Protection Ordinance;
  • animals and plants listed in Annex A or B of the CITES Regulation.

Operating licence for trade

You must have a licence in order to trade in live endangered plant and animal species and all live bird species living in Europe for professional or commercial purposes.

This applies, for example, to pet shops and zoo shops, but may also apply to private individuals who breed and sell species on a larger scale.

Displaying wild animal species

You must have a permit to display wild animals in a zoo. This applies to all wild animals, not only endangered species. A permit will only be granted for an establishment which is also approved for public display under the Animal Welfare Ordinance.

The County Administrative Board will always visit the site before a permit can be granted.

In some cases, permits are not required

  • For example, you do not need to apply for a temporary exhibition licence at a fair. On the other hand, you need to submit a notice of intent to the County Administrative Board at least 4 weeks in advance.
  • If you exhibit a maximum of seven species (non-mammal) with a suitable number of specimens for each species and the demonstration takes place as part of an activity whose main purpose is not demonstration, you do not need a permit.
  • A licence is also not usually required if the display only concerns aquariums.