Waste transportation by foreign companies

Are you a foreign company that transports waste in Sweden? All foreign companies that transport waste in Sweden need to have a Swedish permit for the transport of waste. The application must be submitted to the County Administrative Board.

Where should the application be sent?

Applications for transport of hazardous and/or non-hazardous waste must be sent to the County Administrative Board (“Länsstyrelsen”) where the waste is collected or delivered. If you intend to collect or deliver waste in an area covering more than one county (“län”), send your application to the County Administrative Board in the county where you plan to transport the most waste.

You only need to apply for a permit in one county. The permit is then valid throughout Sweden.

What are the rules for transit transport?

For transit transport, no permit is needed.

Apply through our e-service

What knowledge is needed?

To be able to apply for a transportation permit for all types of hazardous waste, we require the driver to have an ADR certificate (a permit to drive hazardous goods).

If the business does not have drivers with an ADR certificate, it is instead possible to apply for a permit (ADR-S) to transport all types of hazardous waste, which does not qualify as hazardous goods under the hazardous goods provisions.

It is important that you describe in the application what knowledge the company's staff possesses with regard to the transport of waste.

How long is the permit valid?

Hazardous waste permits are normally valid for five years. Permits for non-hazardous waste may be valid until further notice, but can also be issued for a fixed period of time.

Online permit register

Permits are published online:

Kontrollera avfallstransportörer External link.

This information can be used by the police, other authorities, and members of the general public to check whether a company has a valid permit to transport waste in Sweden.