Waste transportation

Are you transporting waste in a commercial capacity? If you are, you need to apply for a permit or notify the County Administrative Board. You must also notify us if you collect hazardous waste, or if you are a waste trader or broker.

If you transport waste in a commercial capacity, you must apply for a permit or notify the County Administrative Board. If you transport less than 100 kg or 100 liters per year, a notification is sufficient. If you transport more than 100 kg or 100 liters per year, you must apply for a permit.

You also need to notify us if you collect hazardous waste, or if you are a waste trader or broker.

Apply or notify through our e-service

Both the application for and notification of waste transportation are made in our e-service:

Administrative information including:

  • the business name
  • organization number
  • address
  • contact
  • phone number
  • Email address

The notification certifies only that the notification is valid for transports of hazardous waste less than 100 kg or 100 liters per year.

Waste traders or brokers must submit a description of the business.

When applying for a permit, the following information must be included:

  1. What types of waste you are transporting. Is it hazardous waste, non-hazardous waste, or both types of waste? Waste codes are listed in the Waste ordinance annex 4.
  2. How you are transporting the waste. (Piece goods-, container- flatbed-, or tank transport).
  3. If the business use drivers with an ADR certificate.
  4. If the business have a security advisor registered with the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency?
  5. If the business have a commercial traffic permit (yrkestrafiktillstånd).
  6. When transporting hazardous goods in a tank transport, a ”vehicle certificate for tank transport” must be included.
  7. A short description of the main business and a background to the transportations of waste. A description of relevant education or experiences of transporting waste, as well as information about whether or not the business has an environmental certificate etc.


  • Notification: 320 SEK.
  • Transportation permit for hazardous waste with/without other types of waste: 2 900 SEK.
  • Transportation permit for other types of waste only: 1 660 SEK.

Payment in our e-service

When you submit an application through our e-service, you may choose to pay directly in the e-service using a Visa or MasterCard, or pay to a Bank Giro using an OCR-number. You will find information about the Bank Giro number and OCR-number on the acknowledgement confirmation you will receive when submitting the application in the e-service.

Waste transportation requiring a permit

You always need a permit to transport waste if you are transporting waste containing any of these substances:

  • Mercury, other than waste containing whole (undamaged) fluorescent lamps or other light sources
  • Cyanide
  • Cadmium
  • PCB-products

Waste transportation exempt from the permit obligation

There are exceptions from the permit obligation for certain types of waste. You only have to submit a notification of hazardous waste transportation if you transport these types of waste:

  • waste containing hazardous agricultural chemicals (waste type 02 01 08*),
  • fly ashes and boiler dust from oil combustion (waste type 10 01 04*),
  • infectious waste (waste types 18 01 03* and 18 02 02*)
  • waste containing asbestos (waste types 06 07 01* and 17 06 01*)
  • waste from combustion or pyrolysis of household waste and similar commercial, industrial and institutional waste (waste types 19 01 05*, 19 01 06*, 19 01 07*, 19 01 10*, 19 01 13* and 19 01 15*).

Commercial transports of waste

Commercial transports of hazardous waste, and other types of waste, always require a permit. Commercial transports are transports of someone else’s waste.

Keep in mind that even if you buy or are given the material, it may be considered a commercial transport of waste.

If you provide a service and bring the waste with you, it may be considered a commercial transport of waste.

To be able to apply for a transportation permit for all types of hazardous waste, we require the driver to have an ADR certificate (a permit to drive hazardous goods).

If the business does not have drivers with an ADR certificate, it is instead possible to apply for a permit (ADR-S) to transport all types of hazardous waste, which does not qualify as hazardous goods under the hazardous goods provisions.

If the business lacks a commercial traffic permit (yrkestrafiktillstånd) you must list the waste codes you intend to transport.

Find the waste codes in the Waste Ordinance Annex 4external link

Collecting/traders and brokers

When handling waste in a commercial capacity, such as professional collection, trader or broker of waste, the business must be notified to the County Administrative Board. Shops, where customers leave waste, for example batteries and electronic scraps, are engaging in activities of professional collection. Brokers are those who convey waste transports.

Other permits

Commercial traffic is only allowed to be conducted by someone with a traffic permit (trafiktillstånd). The traffic permit application is processed by the Swedish Transport Agency.

The Swedish Transport Agency's web siteexternal link

Hazardous waste may also be hazardous goods. The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency provides guidance on what applies to dangerous goods. The regulations on dangerous goods (ADR) apply in parallel to the provisions on waste under the Environmental Code.

Specific provisions apply to cross border transportation of waste. The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency decides on export and import of waste.