Animal welfare

The County Administrative Board is responsible for animal welfare inspections at regional and local level. Please contact us if you suspect that an animal is being mistreated.

The Swedish Board of Agriculture has the overall responsibility for maintaining and developing animal welfare in Sweden. Their mission includes coordinating and guiding the County Administrative Board’s work. The operational animal welfare inspection at regional and local level is carried out by the County Administrative Board. We perform animal welfare inspections, feed- and food inspections, and inspections of animal health staff. The aim of our animal welfare work is to ensure compliance with the Animal Welfare Act External link. (2018:1192) and ensure that the animals have a comfortable life.

About animals on the Swedish Board of Agriculture's web site External link.

Are you suspecting that an animal is being mistreated?

If you suspect that an animal is being neglected or mistreated, please contact the County Administrative Board. If you wish, you may submit an anonymous report. If the situation is urgent and you cannot get in touch with us, please contact the Police instead.

Report mistreatment

Do the animal have access to? (multiple options)
Do the animal have access to? (multiple options)

Upload limit of 10 MB for all the images combined. If larger, use

Optional, leave your contact information.
Optional, leave your contact information.

If you have animals

The County Administrative Board carry out animal welfare inspections throughout the county and the inspections are aiming to ensure compliance to the animal welfare laws. We perform both preventive checks on farm animals in particular, but also carry out inspections when we receive a notification of animal abuse at the hand of private individuals.

How to care for your animals on the Swedish Board of Agriculture's web site External link.

If you want to work with animals

Sometimes you need a permit from The County Administrative Board, for example if you want to keep many dogs or horses. You also need a permit if you have a business involving animals. This is a permit under the Animal Welfare Act §16 and the application is submitted to the County Administrative Board. The application is, in the first hand, to be submitted electronically via The County Administrative Board’s E-service.



010-224 71 20
Telefontider: Måndag - Fredag 09:00 - 12:00

Du kan även anmäla misskötsel av djur via vår webbanmälan dygnet runt.

Ange adress eller noggrann vägbeskrivning till platsen där djuren finns och om möjligt djurhållarens namn.

Vid pågående misshandel av djur ring 112.

För allmänna frågor

Telefon 010-224 72 52
Telefon 010-224 72 14