Acquisition of agricultural properties
Have you bought or acquired an agricultural property? Then you may need to apply for an acquisition permit from the County Administrative Board.
The e-services and forms of the County Administrative Board in this field are not available in English. If you wish to submit an application or notification, you may contact the County Administrative Board, which can inform you how to proceed.
If you buy or acquire a property that is classified as an agricultural property, you may need to apply for an acquisition permit to obtain legal title. Different rules apply to natural persons and legal entities. You apply for a permit from the County Administrative Board of the county in which the property is located.
In the case of acquisitions that take place through an agreement on property regulation, you apply for property regulation with Lantmäteriet (the Swedish mapping, cadastral and land registration authority). There is then no need to apply to the County Administrative Board for an acquisition permit.
As a natural person, you should apply for a permit if you have taken over an agricultural property located in a sparsely populated or reparcelling area.
You do not need a permit if:
- You already own part of the property.
- You acquire the property through an inheritance or will.
- You purchase, exchange or acquire the property from a parent, grandparent or spouse.
- You have been registered in the sparsely populated area of the municipality where the property is located for at least 1 year.
As a legal entity, you should apply for a permit if you have taken over an agricultural property that:
- Is owned by a natural person or an estate.
- Is owned by another legal entity and is located in a sparsely populated area or a reparcelling area.
Property acquisitions by legal entities are governed by different rules from those that apply to natural persons. Legal entities can, for example, be:
- a company
- the Church
- the municipality
- an association
- a foundation.
How to apply
You must apply for a permit within 3 months of signing the acquisition document.
To have your application examined, you usually need to pay a fee to the County Administrative Board. The County Administrative Board will start processing your application once you have paid the fee.
How much you have to pay:
- For natural persons who acquire a property in a sparsely populated area, the fee is SEK 4 600. However, you do not have to pay a fee if the property is located in a reparcelling area that is not at the same time sparsely populated.
- For legal entities that acquire a property from a natural person or estate, the fee is SEK 7 100 if the property is worth less than SEK 10 million. If it is worth more, the fee will be SEK 15 900.
- For legal entities that acquire a property from another legal entity in a sparsely populated area, the fee is SEK 4 600. However, you do not have to pay a fee if the property is located in a reparcelling area that is not at the same time sparsely populated.
Appeal your decision
If the County Administrative Board rejects your application, you can appeal to the Swedish Board of Agriculture.
County Administrative Board of Norrbotten
Phone: 010-225 50 00