Do you wish to operate a pawnshop? If you do, you will need to apply for a permit from the County Administrative Board. We supervise pawnshops and observe the development of the business.
An undertaking which loans money in return for a person providing something as collateral is regarded as a pawnbroker's shop. A pawnbroker's shop can only be operated by a Swedish limited company or an equivalent foreign undertaking in the EEA area.
You apply to the county administrative board to set up a pawnbroker's shop. We will grant an application to set up a pawnbroker's shop if we consider that:
- the undertaking can be operated as a sound pawnbroking business, and
- the undertaking meets the requirements laid down in the Law on pawnbroking and the Law on money laundering.
The e-services and forms of the County Administrative Board in this field are not available in English. If you wish to submit an application or notification, you may contact the County Administrative Board, which can inform you how to proceed.
The application fee is SEK 15 900. The application fee must be paid to us when you submit your application to operate a pawnbroking business.
Supervision and supervision fee
The county administrative board supervises pawnbroker's shops and observes the development of the business. As part of our supervision we check, amongst other things, that you comply with the Law on pawnbroking, the Law on money laundering, the Regulation on money laundering, and the Regulation on pawnbroking.
If you have a pawnbroking business, you must pay an annual supervision fee of SEK 4 000. If the business is operated through more than one office, the supervision fee must be paid in the amount of SEK 2 400 for each additional office.
What happens when I have submitted my application?
- Your application will be registered and given a case number.
- A case officer will examine your case and take a decision. You must pay the fee before processing can commence.
- We will send you the decision.
- If we send you an acknowledgement of service, you must sign it when you have received the decision. Then return the acknowledge of service to the county administrative board as soon as possible.
If you are not satisfied with the decision, you may appeal it within three weeks from the date on which you received it. Each decision will contain instructions on how to appeal the decision.
Please contact the county administrative board if you have any questions about the examination or the decision.
These matters are handled by the county administrative board of Östergötland.
County Administrative Board of Östergötland County
Phone 010-233 50 00