• Eldningsförbud utfärdat i Kalmar län

    Länsstyrelsen har beslutat att det råder eldningsförbud i hela Kalmar län från och med klockan 12.00 den 26 maj. Förbudet gäller tillsvidare. There is a fire ban in Kalmar County from 12 pm on May 26th 2023 and is valid until further notice.

Forest fire in Kalmar CountyRead more on SMHI's website about the current announcement.

Scattering ashes

Would you like to scatter ashes somewhere other than a graveyard? To do so, you will need to apply for permission from the County Administrative Board.

The e-services and forms of the County Administrative Board in this field are not available in English. If you wish to submit an application or notification, you may contact the County Administrative Board, which can inform you how to proceed.

If you would like to scatter the ashes of a deceased person in a place other than a graveyard, you will need to apply for permission from the county administrative board. We can only give permission to scatter ashes once the person in question has died. You cannot apply for permission in advance. It is free to apply.

You must not keep the urn at home whilst waiting to scatter the ashes. The urn must be stored in the crematorium or by the local council responsible for burials. The urn may only be collected when you are ready to scatter the ashes.

How do I apply to scatter ashes?

The application must be made by the person organising the burial. For example, this can be a relative, another close person or an official.

Before you apply, you must check whether a relative or close person of the deceased objects to the ashes being scattered at the place you wish to apply for.

What happens after I have sent my application?

  1. Your application will be registered and given a case number.
  2. We process your application.
  3. We reach a decision regarding your application.
  4. We will send you the decision.
  5. If we send you a service receipt, you must sign this once you receive notification of the decision. Then return the receipt to us as soon as possible.

If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal against it within 3 weeks from the date you were notified of the decision.

Please contact us if you have any questions about the process or decision.

The County Administrative Board of Östergötland County handles funeral issues in Östergötland County, Jönköping County and Kalmar County.


County Administrative Board of Östergötland County