Swedish flags.
Swedish flags. Photo: Marianne R Berlin

If you are a citizen of Denmark, Finland, Norway or Iceland you can be granted Swedish citizenship by applying to the County Administrative Board. If you are a citizen of another country you should contact the Swedish Migration Board.

Application for Swedish citizenship

When you submit your application, the conditions listed below must be fulfilled.


Adults can get Swedish citizenship if they 

  • are aged 18 or older
  • have lived in Sweden for the past five years
  • have not been sentenced to imprisonment or a similar deprivation of liberty sentence during the past five years.

Youths 18–21 years-old

Youths can get Swedish citizenship if they

  • are aged 18 or older but younger than 21
  • have lived in Sweden continuously since they were 13


Guardians can submit an application for Swedish citizenship for children who 

  • have lived in Sweden for the past three years
  • are younger than 18
  • consent to having a Swedish citizenship, if they have turned 12 and hold a foreign citizenship.    

If the child's guardian has submitted an application for Swedish citizenship, their unmarried children under 18 years of age are included automatically. Children can also be included, if the submitted application only applies to one guardian, provided that he or she

  • has sole custody of the child or
  • has joint custody and the other guardian is already a Swedish citizen.

Reversal to Swedish citizenship

If for some reason you have forfeited your Swedish citizenship, you can in certain cases regain your citizenship by applying to the County Administrative Board.

Dual citizenship

Danish, finnish and Icelandic citizens retain their Finnish or Icelandic citizenship when they become Swedish citizens. Note that this does not apply to nationals of other countries.

Contact us

Permits Section
stockholm snabela lansstyrelsen punkt se¤stockholm snabela lansstyrelsen punkt se
+46 10 223 10 00