Animal welfare

The County Administrative Board is responsible for animal welfare inspections in the county. 

Animal welfare is governed by law

The Animal Welfare Act (SFS 1988:534) contains provisions on how animals should be kept and treated. These provisions are supplemented by the Animal Protection Ordinance, various regulations and general advice. The Animal Welfare Act applies to animals kept in captivity, for example farm animals, pets, show animals, zoo animals and laboratory animals. A fundamental provision of the act is that animals should be treated well and protected against disease and unnecessary suffering. Another provision is that they should have the opportunity to live a life that is as close to a natural life as possible.  

The Swedish Board of Agriculture has the overall responsibility for maintaining and developing animal welfare in Sweden. Their mission includes coordinating and guiding the County Administrative Board's work.

Animal welfare inspections 

The County Administrative Board carry out animal welfare inspections throughout the county. We perform both preventive checks on farm animals in particular, but also inspections when we receive a notification of abuse at the hands of private individuals.

The overall aim of the County Administrative Board's animal welfare work is to ensure that the Animal Welfare Act is followed and that the animals have a comfortable life. If an animal is mistreated, we can decide if it should be taken into charge. In that case we must also decide what to do with the animal, for example, whether it should be sold or killed. The police are responsible for the practical management of the animal and the execution of the County Administrative Board's decision.  

The County Administrative Board also makes decisions regarding animal bans, for example for people who have been convicted of cruelty to animals or proved to be manifestly unfit to care for animals.

Do you suspect that an animal is not being treated properly?

If you suspect that an animal is being neglected or mistreated please contact the County Administrative Board. You may submit an anonymous report if you wish to. If the situation is urgent and you cannot reach us, please contact the police instead.